Choose style:

* Member Summary

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* SEAS ShoutBox

Refresh History
  • Poeticlydead: Well the 90 is down starting the process of cleaning everything up and parting it out - setting up a new 42g in the living room where everything can be seen
    May 01, 2017, 09:56:07 AM
  • Poeticlydead: Yeah David just hate to see the site die while facebook is okay there is a lot of good reference material and history here
    May 01, 2017, 09:54:03 AM
  • Poeticlydead: Hey Cheryl
    May 01, 2017, 09:52:56 AM
  • yomomma: Hey Eric!!
    April 27, 2017, 10:18:27 PM
  • ozarksreef: Pretty quiet on the site. I think the new leadership team is trying to get the FB group going.
    April 26, 2017, 05:09:08 PM
  • Poeticlydead: Living up north of Kansas City just checking in and seeing what is going on
    April 24, 2017, 06:06:40 PM
  • ozarksreef: Hey Eric - how you doing? You back in the area?!
    April 21, 2017, 12:39:18 PM
  • Poeticlydead: tap.... tap.... testing 1  2 ..... is this thing on?
    April 21, 2017, 10:45:31 AM
  • Poeticlydead: really quiet around here
    April 18, 2017, 02:58:38 PM
  • MrineLfRlz: nm i found it
    April 04, 2017, 06:57:32 PM

Author Topic: FOWLR maybe  (Read 84 times)

Offline Poeticlydead

• Jack of all trades
FOWLR maybe
« on: May 04, 2017, 10:22:12 AM »
Ok so the 90 is down the corals are gone and only the clowns remain - moving on.

So I haven't actively been on this forum for awhile and maybe an intro is needed first - I'm Eric aka Poeticlydead my wife and I were members - long long ago in a galaxy far far away - I have a number of older articles here including my sons 10g AIO project with the foam wall, KAMs foam build and the original SEAS raffle tank.  Strangely enough I don't seem to have ever posted much on my original display the 90g peninsula set up, a true exercise in DIY.  Well about  I don't know 4 going on 5 years ago (Cheryl/David do you remember) I found my self on the wrong side of the downtrodden economy and then an opportunity arose  which had my family and I relocating just north of Kansas City.  I have to say here everything worked out for the better and I love my new job.  Well in the process we broke down my 90g most of the live stock was parted out to members at the time and all I held on to was a few corals, a maited pair of clowns, a couple of shrimp and a male/female pair of anthias.  Unfortunatly the anthias did survive the trip, a number of corals had some minor fragging take place but aside from that all went well enough.  Let me just say here if you have never tried to move and set back up a fully functioning reef aquarium - it ain't easy (but it can be done).  At the new house the only place we could fit the tank was in the basement and it had to be positioned in a corner which meant no more peninsula   :(  After getting the system going again life took over and it got little attention, suffered a bio pellet reactor failure which lead to a bloom  :(  got that fixed and then lost the skimmer pump  >:(  I tried finding a replacement but the model isn't produced anymore (IN-180)  and in the middle of all this my wife's clam died - my lack of testing didn't catch a water chemistry issue that I believe stemmed from the reactor failure.  If you have never been through a large clam death let's just say it makes a mess of things (didn't help that skimmer was dead too)  don't get me wrong I think clams are great we got the clam while here in the club when it was just 3 or so inches long  at the time of it's death the clam had acquired one whole corner of our tank and required two hands to handle.  So with the loss of the clam which lead to the loss of 2 sps colonies and a massive  cyanobacteria bloom followed by an explosion of bubble algae we decided to shut the tank down.  We understood the real issue here was that the tank was in an area where it wasn't a focus and as such got little attention - any of the above catastrophes could have been prevented if we had kept up with the aquarium the way we had when it was a focus in the living room of our old house.  Also we never did find a saltwater club here in our area - having a community really helps.   So as I said at the start the 90 is down the surviving corals are gone and only the clowns remain.  Time to start anew. 
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 10:23:55 AM by Poeticlydead »
No I can't spell.  No I don't care how it is spelled.

Offline Poeticlydead

• Jack of all trades
Re: FOWLR maybe
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2017, 12:00:25 PM »
So were do we start well the kids are older, life is even busier and I haven't become any wiser or more patient.  After sitting down and discussing everything I lined out for you above with the wife we agreed the greatest issue was the tank was in a place where it just couldn't be enjoyed and we didn't have time for a super strict maintenance routine but wanted to keep the tank.  Well one day while avoiding grocery shopping with the wife I took the kids over to PetCo and noticed something I was immediately interested in. 

You can see my son in the reflection checking the prices down below.

This set up can only be found in the PetCo stores right now their website sales the interchangeable panels but not the stand, tank or complete package.
The panels are magnetic even the ones riming the top making cleaning and access easy the bottom panels have an aluminum extrusion that sets into a track on the bottom of the aluminum stand and the top is held in place by magnets.  The panels come in brushed steel (the gray you see here) white, red, black and wood grain (which kind of has a weathered bamboo look).  I opted for the brushed steel.  The panels appear to be phenoilic which means they are water proof and should hold up over the long term.

The tank is actually 42g by my calculations the dimension are nonstandard (), it is all glass, the back pane is already black, the used black silicone and beveled the top edges.  I'm really impressed with this tank the glass is about a 1/4" thick and comes all the way up to the top behind those trim pieces, the magnets are set in the face of the glass (appears to be epoxied), there is a glass ledge to hold the two glass covers (the covers are thin) behind the trim and the back panel has the corners notched for use with a canister filter (it's not drilled).  There is no plastic rim and if a person was so inclined you could probably remove the magnets and run this as a rimless/internal glass rimmed tank but I like the look as is.

There is a black cover over the top, with the Led light making up the center section, it sits on the edge of the glass and is concealed by the magnetic trim - the front and back panels both hinge on at the light or they can be lifted off.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 12:34:43 PM by Poeticlydead »

Offline Poeticlydead

• Jack of all trades
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2017, 02:40:04 PM »
Now as I said this tank is specifically designed for use with canister filters, it's not drilled and the design of the top prevents the use of any type of hang on back filtration.

If you have been around the hobby and the SEAS for awhile you know there are a number of options when it comes to filtration.  Each type of filtration has it's own strengths and weaknesses, now some people swear that you have to run a sump and skimmer and others a canister filter doesn't work.   Well I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion and as for mine I see no problem with a properly maintained cannister filter on a FO (fish only) or a FOWL (fish only with live rock) while I don't doubt you could make them work on a reef tank (with careful enough maitenance I don't think I'd try it on an SPS set up - on the flip side they should work well with a lagoonal tank.

So that said here is what I'll be running for filtration on this system:

Penn Plax Cascade Filter 1000

Part of my decision was based on the location, this tank is going in the main floor living room just down the hall from the master bedroom so noise level was a huge factor - I don't want to raise my voice or turn up my TV to hear over my tank and I don't need to hear waterfalls all night while trying to sleep.  While my previous tank was fairly quiet it did bother me when trying to watch movies with the family.  So I worked out the noises I heard on the old tank - water fall sound from drain, power-heads kicking on and off with waver maker and a humm from the rigid supply plumbing do to the natural vibration of the return pump.  A couple other things that factored into some of my equipment decisions:
The time the system was overfilled and flooded out of the sump during a power outage
The time the skimmer was left miss adjusted by my better half and proceeded to foam up the whole stand with not so good smelling bubbles
The fact that under tank water messes where so common that I had designed a water tight tray into the base of the stand (saved us more then once - see above).
Last the fact that when we moved in we laid solid hardwood floors in the kitchen and living-room (where the tank was going)

Offline Poeticlydead

• Jack of all trades
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2017, 02:59:52 PM »
Now one downside to canister filters is the lack of surface skimming so while cruising around on the interwebs I found this:

Seems simple enough, it's adjustable and it was only $9.00 so figured we'd give it a try.
So far it works well, it did take a little bit to get it dialed in just right to be silent and not draw air also the flexi hose thing is junk so throw it out and take your vinyl tube down to the optional elbow.

Here is their helpful little diagram - oh and if you want silent don't put the spray bar above the surface or don't use the bar at all and use the angled outlet below the surface.

Offline Poeticlydead

• Jack of all trades
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2017, 03:08:24 PM »
Now for the heater.
Well at first I put my existing Eheim Jager in the tank - it was too long to fit vertically (had to run it horizontally) and it stood out like a big silver and blue sore thumb so yeah that wasn't going to work.  So I started looking for a better option and after much reviewing I decided on this (could have diy'd one but trying not to on this tank):

200 watts and 5/8" hose connections so hooks right up no problem
(they offer a 300 watt version and a smaller 1/2' connection if you need)

Offline Poeticlydead

• Jack of all trades
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2017, 03:36:53 PM »
Now for an item from my long standing wish list:

A single MP10qd will be providing all the flow for this tank :D and it is quiet.
Right now I'm running it in lagoonal mode.

Offline Poeticlydead

• Jack of all trades
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2017, 03:51:53 PM »
For substrate I bought some more CaribSea Aragonite I used this same "live sand" in the old tank and it worked great though this time I mixed the coarser stuff with a bag of the fine stuff to provided a more diverse substrate for future in habitats.  (fyi - if you use the fine sand and have a lot of flow expect some sand storms and moving dunes in the beginning).

As for the rock I had/have a lot of dry rock (if anyone is looking for some I'm willing to sell/trade)
Due to the bubble algae outbreak I decided to kill and clean all the rock from my old tank, I didn't want carry it over into the new system so everything was rinsed and then sun baked for weeks and then cleaned (what fun).
I wanted the structure to be simple and I wanted a shelf for my clowns to hide under.

So there the tank is during the aquascaping at this point the MP10 isn't in yet and neither is the surface skimmer.

I also added the clam shell on top of the shelf, pic to come later.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 04:03:35 PM by Poeticlydead »